Popular Posts

Tuesday 14 May 2013

Fix or Throw? 修复或是抛弃?

It may be due to my sentimental or nostalgic personal attributes, I always develop "feelings" for the items I have, whether they are living or nonliving items. Rather than specifying it as "feelings", most people will term it as  psychological attachment. Since young, my folks always had trouble dealing with my "feelings" towards the objects I had. Whatever things that I had, whether they are old, broken or not in used anymore, as long as I have developed "feelings" for them, my folks would have a difficult time to persuade me to throw them away. After being frustrated with their persuasion, they came up with an easier and efficient solution-- they threw them away while I was away or when I was not aware of their "ingenious trick". And time covered their trick pretty well, as I tend to forget what I possessed after a certain period. Well, parents, my advise is to have a conversation with your kids before discarding their items without their knowledge. Because, as a kid, when I found out what my folks did, I actually were very upset with them for not respecting me. Yes, this action will hurt the relationship between the parents and children. So think twice before doing this, dear dads and moms.

I am not sure since when humans develop the habit of throwing items that they do not need or want. Is it since stone age or since the invention of plastic? Lord knows.I presume that it is humans' inborn  habit to discard objects that they no longer need. And I believe that most of us nowadays, also discard away things that have been broken, as it will be troublesome for those without the required skills to fix i, not to mention that it costs time and money to fix the items as well. So when you total up the required tangible and intangible cost, buying new ones appear to be more cheaper then fixing them. And because of that too, we have more and more dump sites. But, are all items discard-able? 

Probably not. I was moved and amazed how two people work together and strive to fix the broken parts and maintain the hard to come by relationship, amidst this era of high divorce rate (see pix below). 

Whether the contemporary era is a Fix or Throw era, I am confident that the decision lies in our hand,instead of the period we are born in. In this context, "Throw" should be THROWN. 

May all of us be keepers of our precious relationship.


Cheers,
S.L α

No comments:

Post a Comment