Popular Posts

Wednesday 18 February 2015

Reunion with Love 团圆



Someone had asked me how do you get to know whether you like a person. I had shared with him some of my thoughts on that. At that time, I thought I had better understanding of love. Time had proven my naivety, in a very cruel and merciless way, as a punishment for a daughter who was not grateful enough and appreciate enough.

This year, our reunion dinner table had an empty seat. The person who used to ‘compete’ for our favourite dish, who comments more than he cooks, who always reserves my favourite dish, who eats faster than any of us, was no longer sitting at his usual seat.

Hereby using myself as a mirror, to share with you all my pricy wakeup call on love. The price - the life of my parent.

A decade before, love was a foreign language to me. A decade later, this is how I describe love.

Love is, always put the other party’s benefits ahead of yours.
I thought that was hardly doable, but when the time comes, you’ll be willing to do anything for your loved ones. And everyone is capable of this.

Love is, something that you only realized how much you had received only when you no longer able to receive it from the giver.
I thought I knew what love is all about. But only when I had ceased receiving it from one of the generous givers, I regretted that I had understood too late.

Love is, something that you can only feel with your heart, and every time you think of it, it either warms your heart or pricks your heart.
I see my late parent everywhere. Every time we frequent the places we went together, the past plays in our mind like movies. Whatever topics that we are able to bring up, we’ll be reminded how and what he used to say. His love is heartwarming as always, but somehow his love in remembrance is painstaking.

Love is, something you cannot wait. It is a loser to time.
I thought I have years to fulfill my duty of filial piety, yet it turned out otherwise. I thought that I had been struggling hard throughout the years to provide better life for them, yet with much perseverance and high endurance as they used to have, I had been putting them through much pain. Now looking at the kids with their parents reminds me of my parent, and how I wish I am able to tune the clock backwards. Whatever you want to do for your loved ones, waiting for the right time to execute your plans will never be the best choice. I am your real life example.

I had the best and most precious loved experience given from my parent. Through the one decade fully spent with him and other members, they taught me how to love and how it felt to be loved.

Whatever quarrel or fight you have with your love ones, it no longer matters to you  as you have very limited time to spend with them. Fill all of your memories with more smiles and laughter. When that day finally comes to say farewell, you’ll be relieved that you have lesser regrets.


This is my first reunion dinner without you. Personally, I would not consider it as reunion dinner without you. However, by thinking of all the memories, love and the family that you left behind, I am grateful that I am not alone. With a grateful heart, I rushed back for this dinner, as I know, they were waiting for me, and you were too.


Happy Chinese New Year to those who are celebrating it.

Cheers,
S.L.
α

No comments:

Post a Comment